Zhiyao Xie is an Assistant Professor in the ECE Department at Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST), where he joined in 2022. He completed his Ph.D. at Duke University in 2022 under the supervision of Prof. Yiran Chen and Prof. Hai (Helen) Li, following his B.Eng from CityU HK in 2017 on a full scholarship. During his Ph.D. studies, Zhiyao also worked as a research intern at leading IC design and electronic design automation (EDA) companies such as Nvidia, Arm, Cadence, and Synopsys. His research focuses on electronic design automation (EDA) and machine learning for VLSI design. Zhiyao has received multiple prestigious awards, including the UGC/RGC Early Career Award 2023, ACM Outstanding Dissertation Award in EDA 2023 (one awardee every year), EDAA Outstanding Dissertation Award 2023, MICRO 2021 Best Paper Award, ACM SIGDA SRF 2022 Best Research Poster Award, ASP-DAC 2023 Best Paper Award, etc. Now he also serves as the Seminar Chair of IEEE CEDA Hong Kong.
Award & Honors
- UGC/RGC Early Career Award, 2023 (7 awardees out of 525 grant applicants)
- WAIC Yufan Award, 2023 (云帆奖, 10 Chinese AI researchers under age of 35)
- ACM Outstanding Dissertation Award in EDA, 2023 (1 awardee worldwide per year)
- EDAA Outstanding Dissertation Award, 2023 (4 awardees worldwide per year)
- ASP-DAC 2023 Best Paper Award, 2023 (2 out of 328 submissions)
- ASP-DAC 2023 Best Paper Nomination, 2023 (11 out of 328 submissions)
- ACM TODAES Distinguished Reviewer, 2022
- ACM SIGDA SRF Best Research Poster Award, 2022
- IEEE/ACM MICRO 2021 Best Paper Award, 2021 (1 out of 430 submissions)
- ECE Ph.D. Fellowship, Duke University, 2018
- Dean’s List for all 8 UG Semesters, CityU HK, 2013-2017
- Outstanding Student Prize, CityU HK, 2016
- Full Scholarship for 4 Years, CityU HK, 2013-2017
Ph.D. Student Recruitment
- I am looking for motivated students to join my lab as Ph.D. students in HKUST!
- Do not hesitate to email me (email@example.com) if you are interested!
- Please do excuse me for not being able to reply every email… Also please do not be discouraged if you do not receive a reply.
- No need to waste time writing a long email, just drop me your CV with grade.
Why Joining Us?
Our research topics are highly cross-disciplinary. You are expected to master deep knowledge on programming, data structure and algorithm, machine learning, EDA, VLSI design, etc. after you graduate. I believe many of these directions are in a very high demand in job market nowadays.
Our lab has a small number of students with enough research resources. Therefore, you can get hands-on supervision from the advisor during your Ph.D. study. This could be very helpful when starting your research.
HKUST is undoubtedly a top Asian university in science and engineering. Its world ranking was #34 in QS 2022, and #24 in QS 2022 Engineering & Technology.