Zhiyao Xie is an Assistant Professor in the ECE Department at Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST), where he joined in 2022. He completed his Ph.D. in 2022 from Duke University under the supervision of Prof. Yiran Chen and Prof. Hai (Helen) Li. Zhiyao received his B.Eng from CityU HK in 2017, supported by a full scholarship.
During his Ph.D. studies, Zhiyao worked as a research intern at leading semiconductor and electronic design automation (EDA) companies such as Nvidia, Arm, Cadence, and Synopsys. His research interests are in cross-disciplinary topics in electronic design automation, VLSI design, computer architecture, and machine learning. He is particularly experienced in machine learning for hardware design.
Zhiyao has received several prestigious awards, including the MICRO 2021 Best Paper Award, EDAA Outstanding Dissertation Award 2023, ACM SIGDA SRF 2022 Best Research Poster Award, and ASP-DAC 2023 Best Paper Award. He also serves as the Seminar Chair of IEEE CEDA Hong Kong.
Ph.D. Student Recruitment
- I am looking for motivated students to join my lab as Ph.D. students in HKUST!
- Please check the Recruitment for more details.
- Currently we target Fall 2023 semester (deadline is May 2023).
- We welcome students with both EE and CS background.
- Learn more about ML for EDA in Chinese.
- Do not hesitate to email me (email@example.com) if you are interested!
- Please do excuse me for not being able to reply every email… Also please do not be discouraged if you do not receive a reply.
- No need to waste time writing a long email, just drop me your CV.
Why Joining Us?
Our research topics are highly cross-disciplinary. You are expected to master deep knowledge on programming, data structure and algorithm, machine learning, EDA, VLSI design, etc. after you graduate. I believe many of these directions are in a very high demand in job market nowadays.
Our lab has a small number of students with enough research resources. Therefore, you can get hands-on supervision from the advisor during your Ph.D. study. This could be very helpful when starting your research.
HKUST is undoubtedly a top Asian university in science and engineering. Its world ranking was #34 in QS 2022, and #24 in QS 2022 Engineering & Technology.